Delftware or Delft Pottery or commonly known as Delft Blue, which in Dutch is Delfts Blauw. It is a term used for Dutch tin-glazed earthenware. It’s mostly blue and white. It was produced in the City of Delft in the Netherlands. It’s also used in similar pottery in England but that’s called English Delftware.
It was started around 1600 and the most sought after period of Delft Blue is 1640 till 1740 and exporting it all over Europe.
It all began in 1500 when Guido da Savino, an Italian potter settled in Antwerp and 16th century italian maiolica was the main influence. It spread to northen Netherlands. Producion developed in Middelburg and Haarlem in the 1570’s and in Amsterdam in 1580. All of the finer work was developed in Delft, but simple pottery was made in places like Gouda, Rotterdam, Haarlem, Amsterdam and Dordrecht.